The flag of Australia

Moving to Australia

Australie / Austrália / Australien

Want to move to Sydney? Considering moving to Melbourne or Perth? Here’s the moving advice you’ll need for any international removal to Australia…

Moving Household Goods And Personal Effects To Australia

Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning an international removal to Australia:

  • A Copy of your Passport Photo Page
  • Completed Australian Customs Form B534
  • Copy of Visa or E-Visa Approval (Applicable for Non-Citizens of Australia)
  • Detailed Inventory / Packing list – We can provide this if packing for you. You can download a blank copy here to complete yourself
  • Alcohol Inventory, if applicable
  • The Original Bill of Lading if no Telex Release/Waybill issued (OBL) / Air Waybill (AWB). We will take care of this if performing the entirety of the move

We recommend providing these as soon as possible to reduce delays with your removal to Australia. Late receipt of documentation can lead to missed shipments, additional charges and penalties at Australian Customs. For your own protection, we will almost never ship your goods without the above in place.

Additional Removal Advice

  • Sea freight clearance times vary from 12-15 working days depending on mode of sea freight and the destination location.
  • Airfreight clearance takes approximately 5 to 7 working days depending on documentation received and destination location.
  • An moving inventory of alcohol is required for Australian Customs to assess the duty and taxes payable, which are generally 50% of the alcohol's purchase value.
  • The OBL must be received 7 days prior to arrival at first entry port into Australia.
  • The AWB must be received 48 hours prior to arrival at first entry Airport into Australia.

Helpful Downloads

Click on the links below to download useful documents:

  • My Move Checklist

    To help you keep on track with your international removal.

  • Removal Inventory / Packing List

    For use if you need to provide a removal packing list or moving inventory yourself for your international removal service.

  • Removal Survey Cubic Calculator

    For use if you need to find out the volume of your move before making an enquiry. Remember when doing an international move, to allow a little more space for loading volume.

  • Removal Survey Information Form

    For use for you to better describe the requirements of your move. This outlines all the things that a professional international removal company would need to know to physically move your goods.

  • International Removal Insurance Form

    If you're taking out insurance with us, download this form, complete it and email it back to your international relocation manager.

Useful links

We always recommend speaking directly to the relevant embassy for the most accurate and up to date moving advice:

Popular Destinations in Australia

Pearson is vastly experience in international removals to cities all over the globe. Their long history and detailed knowledge of different countries makes them the perfect choice for your move. Here are some of the most popular destinations we are asked to move people to in Australia:

Perth (Western Australia), Fremantle (Western Australia), Alice Springs (Northern Territory), Darwin (Northern Territory), Cairns (Queensland), Townsville (Queensland), Mackay (Queensland), Gladstone (Queensland), Brisbane (Queensland), Newcastle (New South Wales), Sydney (New South Wales), Hobart (Tasmania), Melbourne (Victoria), Adelaide (South Australia), Canberra (Australian Capital Territory).

Need Help?

If you are unsure about what you need, one of our international move managers is always willing to help. Just call us on +44 (0)1827 873 773, or fill out an international removal enquiry, and we’ll ease you through the process.

Moving Your Money

If you’re moving to Australia, it’s very likely you’ll have to exchange a large amount of currency. Many people waste thousands doing this through their bank as they think there is no alternative; but we partner with FC Exchange who specialise in doing just this. FC Exchange will offer all Pearson customers preferential rates when exchanging currency and guarantee to beat other rates you’re receiving. Ask one of our move managers about this, or click here to find out more...

Get Insurance

We always advise taking out an insurance policy with us on every move. Although we like to think we’re the best in the industry, the odd accident can occasionally happen. For added peace of mind, make sure to speak to one of our move managers about this.

If you have already contracted us for your international removal to Australia, then you can download the insurance form and email the completed form back to your international relocation manager.

Moving Your Car or Motorcycle

Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning to move your vehicle to Australia:

  • Vehicle Import Approval (VIA)
  • Registration papers from country of origin
  • Purchase receipt

Additional Import Advice

  • A VIA must be obtained prior to the importation of motor vehicles.
  • The restrictions for documents and Customs regulations must be met for the importation for privately owned motor vehicles.
  • Customs clearance is required at the port of entry.
  • Customs duties and goods and services taxes (GST) must be paid at the time of vehicle import with the exception of returning Australian vehicles when GST only applies. GST only is payable on motorcycle imports
  • Contact the Australian Taxation Office to determine if and when luxury car taxes (LCT) must be paid.

Relocating Your Pets

These documents will be required when planning to relocate your pet to Australia:

  • Import Permit
  • Import Application

Additional Import Advice

  • All animals imported to Australia must meet the requirements of the Australian Department of Agriculture and Water Resources and will be quarantined upon arrival.
  • Import Permits take approximately 10 business days from the date receipt by Department of Agriculture to be approved; however, incomplete or incorrect applications may take longer.
  • Shippers must select a quarantine station for the animal prior to import.
  • Animals may be visited by only the person identified as the importer during the quarantine period.

Note: It is critical to contact Department of Agriculture and Water Resources prior to the import of pets as requirements and restrictions are dependent upon the country of origin and vary dramatically per type of animal.

Restricted & Dutiable/Taxable Items

Think very carefully before moving these items to Australia. Items on this list will be taxed and/or require specific permission to import. In all cases they must be declared prior to you relocating to Australia:

  • Antibiotics
  • Asbestos
  • Cat and dog fur products
  • Cetaceans (whales, dolphins and porpoises)
  • Anabolic and androgenic substances (those that enhance muscle and bone growth, and may include health supplements)
  • Dog collars designed to puncture or bruise an animal’s skin
  • Diamonds (only rough diamonds in tamper proof container from a country participating in the Kimberley Process may be imported and require a Kimberley Process Certificate)
  • Counterfeit credit cards
  • Fish and tooth fish
  • Laser pointers
  • Kava may be imported in root or dried form in amounts not to exceed 2 kg and is carried as accompanied baggage by a passenger 18 years or older
  • Trade Practices Act goods
  • Weapons (military goods and other weapons including blow pipes, crossbows, martial arts equipment, knuckle dusters, slingshots, maces and flails)
  • Alcohol (Customs duties plus goods and services tax (GST) will apply to alcohol imported into Australia. Duty is calculated on the type of alcohol, the volume contained per bottle, the alcohol % per bottle and the value per bottle. Ten percent (10%) GST is then added to the duty calculated.)
  • ANZAC and any related advertising material
  • Items bearing an image of the Australian national flag and coat of arms
  • Items bearing an image of the Australian state or territory flags and coat of arms
  • Glazed ceramic ware
  • Chemical weapons
  • Chewing tobacco and snuff in quantities greater than 1.5 kg)
  • Cigarette lighters (up to five lighters acceptable if over 18 years or older on a ship or aircraft)
  • Cosmetics and toxic materials (cannot contain more than 250 mg/kg of lead but may contain more than 250 mg/kg of lead acetate designed for use in hair products)
  • Crowd control equipment (antipersonnel sprays, body armour, extendable batons, electric shock devices, etc.)
  • Cultural heritage goods from Papua New Guinea (permission from the Trustees of the Papua New Guinea Public Museum and Art Gallery is required)
  • Passengers arriving on board a ship or aircraft do not need a permit for the import of drugs and narcotics required for personal use if: the drugs and narcotics are prescribed by a medical practitioner or veterinarian, and quantity does not exceed a three (3) month’s supply at the maximum prescribed dosage, and the drugs/narcotics are carried as accompanied baggage; prescription must be in English or translated to English.
  • Firearms and accessories, parts, magazine, ammunition, components of ammunition, and replica
  • The following items are embargoed goods and are restricted and require permission to import. Contact the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) for additional information:

    Eritrea – weapons, ammunition, military vehicles and equipment and spare parts

    Iran – weapons, ammunition, military vehicle and equipment and spare parts

    North Korea – weapons ammunition, military vehicles and equipment and spare parts

    Libya – weapons, ammunition, military vehicles and equipment and spare parts

  • Endangered animal and plant listed in the appendices to the Convention of International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES)
  • Novelty erasers (resembling food in scent or appearance)
  • Plastic explosives formulated as a mixture, malleable or flexible at room temperature or with one or more high explosives which in pure form have a vapour pressure less than 10.4 PA at a temperature of 25 degrees Celsius
  • A binder material
  • Electronic flyswatters and mosquito bats
  • Growth hormones and substances of human or animal origin
  • Hazardous wastes (explosive flammable, poisonous, toxic, exotoxin or infectious, clinical wastes, waste oils, waste residue from manufacture or household waste as defined by the Basel Convention)
  • Hydrofluorocarbons
  • Incandescent lamps
  • Knives and daggers
  • Novelty money boxes coated with material containing more than 90 mg/kg of lead
  • Ozone depleting substances and synthetic greenhouse gases
  • Pencils and paintbrushes with a coating that contains excess amounts of toxic compounds such as lead, arsenic and barium
  • Pesticides and other hazardous chemicals
  • Polychlorinated Biphenyls, Terphenyls and Polyphenols
  • Pornography and other objectionable materials
  • Woolpacks
  • Radioactive substances
  • Therapeutic drugs and substances (abortifacients, aphrodisiacs, etc.)
  • Unmanufactured tobacco (not stemmed or stripped or in whole form)
  • Toys containing excess amounts of toxic compounds such as lead, arsenic and barium

Prohibited/Banned Items

Do not move any of these items to Australia:

  • Dogs (dangerous breeds including Dogo Argentino, Fila Brasileiro, Japanese Tosa, American Pit Bull Terrier or Pit Bull Terrier, Perro de Presa Canario or Presa Canario and advertisements referencing these breeds
  • Embryo clones and viable materials, and any related advertising matter advertising these items
  • Suicide devices
  • Rough diamonds (see provision under Restricted/Dutiable Items)

Disclaimer: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This information is provided as a guide only. While Pearson has exercised reasonable care in publishing this information, Pearson makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.

Accredited by and members of: