The flag of Austria

Moving to Austria

Autriche / Áustria / Österreich / Österrike

Want to move to Graz? Considering moving to Vienna? Here’s the moving advice you’ll need for any international removal to Austria…

Moving Household Goods And Personal Effects To Austria

Please note. That many of these things will not apply to you if you are moving from another EU (European Union) State and/or you are a citizen of the EU (European Union) due to the free movement of goods throughout the EU.

Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning an international removal to Austria:

  • Passport (Of the individual moving/importing the goods)
  • Bill of Lading (OBL) / Air Waybill (AWB) - We will take care of this if completing the entire international removal to Austria for you.
  • Detailed moving inventory (3 copies) - We will complete this if you want us to undertake a full packing service for your removal
  • Original Austrian Customs forms (ZBefr2a)
  • Exit Certificate / Certificate of Stay Abroad for at least 12 months (confirmation from the local authority of the previous residence, confirmation by employer or other official proof)
  • Duty-free Permit, if applicable
  • Original Power of Attorney
  • Residence Registration Form (primary residence)
  • Invoices for all new furniture, appliances, gifts, and objects of art / antiques (2 copies)

We recommend providing these as soon as possible to reduce delays with your removal to Austria. Late receipt of documentation can lead to missed shipments, additional charges and penalties at Austrian Customs. For your own protection, we will almost never ship your goods without the above in place.

Additional Removal Advice

  • Shippers who have lived in the European Union prior to import may need a permit for the duty-free importation of household goods and personal effects ("Grundlagenbescheid") available at the Customs office nearest to the residence.
  • Only used goods personally owned and used for at least 6 months by the shipper and are intended for use in the country may be imported.
  • After customs clearance, the removal goods are prohibited for 1 year from sale or transfer unless Customs duties are paid.
  • Contact destination agent to confirm necessity of a Duty-Free Permit.
  • Removal goods can be imported into Austria duty free within 1 year from the change of residence.

Helpful Downloads

Click on the links below to download useful documents:

  • My Move Checklist

    To help you keep on track with your international removal.

  • Removal Inventory / Packing List

    For use if you need to provide a removal packing list or moving inventory yourself for your international removal service.

  • Removal Survey Cubic Calculator

    For use if you need to find out the volume of your move before making an enquiry. Remember when doing an international move, to allow a little more space for loading volume.

  • Removal Survey Information Form

    For use for you to better describe the requirements of your move. This outlines all the things that a professional international removal company would need to know to physically move your goods.

  • International Removal Insurance Form

    If you're taking out insurance with us, download this form, complete it and email it back to your international relocation manager.

Useful links

We always recommend speaking directly to the relevant embassy for the most accurate and up to date moving advice:

Popular Destinations in Austria

Pearson is vastly experience in international removals to cities all over the globe. Their long history and detailed knowledge of different countries makes them the perfect choice for your move. Here are some of the most popular destinations we are asked to move people to in Austria:

Vienna, Graz, Linz, Salzburg, Innsbruck, Klagenfurt, Villach, Weis, Sankt Pölten, Dornbirn

Need Help?

If you are unsure about what you need, one of our international move managers is always willing to help. Just call us on +44 (0)1827 873 773, or fill out an international removal enquiry, and we’ll ease you through the process.

Moving Your Money

If you’re moving to Austria, it’s very likely you’ll have to exchange a large amount of currency. Many people waste thousands doing this through their bank as they think there is no alternative; but we partner with FC Exchange who specialise in doing just this. FC Exchange will offer all Pearson customers preferential rates when exchanging currency and guarantee to beat other rates you’re receiving. Ask one of our move managers about this, or click here to find out more...

Get Insurance

We always advise taking out an insurance policy with us on every move. Although we like to think we’re the best in the industry, the odd accident can occasionally happen. For added peace of mind, make sure to speak to one of our move managers about this.

If you have already contracted us for your international removal to Austria, then you can download the insurance form and email the completed form back to your international relocation manager.

Moving Your Car or Motorcycle

Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning to move your vehicle to Austria:

  • Vehicle Title / Registration
  • Invoice / Purchase Order
  • Form T 1, if applicable
  • Vehicle papers (type certificate)

Additional Import Advice

  • For the import of a Motor Vehicle all residents need Grundlagenbescheid
  • The shipment is free of duties only in connection with a move.
  • Vehicles must be in use and possession of the shipper for at least 6 months in the origin country.
  • A tax called "Normverbrauchsabgabe" (NOVA) or a standard consumption tax (between 8 and 14% of the actual value) must be paid at the time of registration.
  • NOVA is calculated on the average gas consumption of the individual model.
  • The owner of car must have lived outside the EC for at least 1 year.
  • The vehicle must be cleared separate from the household goods and personal effects.
  • After Customs clearance, motor vehicles including automobiles, motorcycles, motor scooters, and mopeds cannot be sold or transferred unless Customs duties and VAT are paid.
  • If the shipper is arriving to Austria via personal vehicle, an application should be made to the Austrian Frontier Customs Office for a Form T 1.
  • A separate Customs clearance at a qualified Customs office is required (not every Customs office is authorized for Customs clearance).

Relocating Your Pets

These documents will be required when planning to relocate your pet to Austria:

  • Veterinary Health Certificate
  • Certificate of Vaccination

Additional Import Advice

  • Cats and dogs may be imported without prior authorization; contact agent for information on the import of other animals.
  • Pets may be imported free of duties.

Restricted & Dutiable/Taxable Items

Think very carefully before moving these items to Austria. Items on this list will be taxed and/or require specific permission to import. In all cases they must be declared prior to you relocating to Austria:

  • Firearms (an official permit is required)
  • Pump guns
  • Spirits, cigarettes, tobacco, perfumes for personal consumption (an Import Permit is required).
  • Antiques, if over 100 years of age are duty free but subject to value added tax (VAT) in addition to Customs duties and taxes (a Certificate of Appraisal from an Austrian expert is generally required
  • New furniture, appliances, gifts, souvenirs, and objects of art / antiques are subject to duties and taxes (a Certificate of Circulation of Goods and Import Permit are required, where applicable).
  • Plants and plant products (a Plant Protection Certificate is required)
  • New furniture, appliances, gifts, souvenirs, and objects of art / antiques are subject to duties and taxes (a Certificate of Circulation of Goods and Import Permit are required, where applicable).
  • Plants and plant products (a Plant Protection Certificate is required)

Prohibited/Banned Items

Do not move any of these items to Austria:

  • Drugs

Disclaimer: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This information is provided as a guide only. While Pearson has exercised reasonable care in publishing this information, Pearson makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.

Accredited by and members of: