The flag of Hong Kong

Moving to Hong Kong

Want to move to Victoria? Considering moving to Kowloon? Here’s the moving advice you’ll need for any international removal to Hong Kong…

Moving Household Goods And Personal Effects To Hong Kong

Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning an international removal to Hong Kong:

  • Copy of Passport (Of the individual moving/importing the goods) (identification pages only)
  • Original bill of lading (OBL) / air waybill (AWB) - We will take care of this if completing the entire international removal to Hong Kong for you.
  • Detailed moving inventory - We will complete this if you want us to undertake a full packing service for your removal
  • Owner of the goods' full contact details in Hong Kong (address, telephone, fax number, email address, etc.)

We recommend providing these as soon as possible to reduce delays with your removal to Hong Kong. Late receipt of documentation can lead to missed shipments, additional charges and penalties at Chinese Customs. For your own protection, we will almost never ship your goods without the above in place.

Additional Removal Advice

  • All household goods and personal effects can be imported free of duty.

Helpful Downloads

Click on the links below to download useful documents:

  • My Move Checklist

    To help you keep on track with your international removal.

  • Removal Inventory / Packing List

    For use if you need to provide a removal packing list or moving inventory yourself for your international removal service.

  • Removal Survey Cubic Calculator

    For use if you need to find out the volume of your move before making an enquiry. Remember when doing an international move, to allow a little more space for loading volume.

  • Removal Survey Information Form

    For use for you to better describe the requirements of your move. This outlines all the things that a professional international removal company would need to know to physically move your goods.

  • International Removal Insurance Form

    If you're taking out insurance with us, download this form, complete it and email it back to your international relocation manager.

Useful links

We always recommend speaking directly to the relevant embassy for the most accurate and up to date moving advice:

Popular Destinations in Hong Kong

Pearson is vastly experience in international removals to cities all over the globe. Their long history and detailed knowledge of different countries makes them the perfect choice for your move. Here are some of the most popular destinations we are asked to move people to in Hong Kong:

Kowloon, Aberdeen, Tseun Wan, Sha Tin, Tung Chung, Tuen Mun, Tai Po, Tin Shui

Need Help?

If you are unsure about what you need, one of our international move managers is always willing to help. Just call us on +44 (0)1827 873 773, or fill out an international removal enquiry, and we’ll ease you through the process.

Moving Your Money

If you’re moving to Hong Kong, it’s very likely you’ll have to exchange a large amount of currency. Many people waste thousands doing this through their bank as they think there is no alternative; but we partner with FC Exchange who specialise in doing just this. FC Exchange will offer all Pearson customers preferential rates when exchanging currency and guarantee to beat other rates you’re receiving. Ask one of our move managers about this, or click here to find out more...

Get Insurance

We always advise taking out an insurance policy with us on every move. Although we like to think we’re the best in the industry, the odd accident can occasionally happen. For added peace of mind, make sure to speak to one of our move managers about this.

If you have already contracted us for your international removal to Hong Kong, then you can download the insurance form and email the completed form back to your international relocation manager.

Moving Your Car or Motorcycle

Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning to move your vehicle to Hong Kong:

  • Original vehicle documentation
  • Original purchase invoice
  • Certificate of registration (must show boat dimensions)
  • Import declaration
  • Insurance certificate

Additional Import Advice

  • Certificate of registration must be submitted to Marine Department for application of import permit within 24 hours from arrival of effects.
  • Left-hand drive cars cannot be imported.
  • All vehicles are subject to strict regulatory inspections and high first registration taxes.
  • Taxes are set to discourage the personal import of vehicles; it is highly recommended that an estimate of costs before shipping a vehicle, be obtained.
  • First registration fee is based on value, as follows:
    • Private Cars:
      • From value HK $0 to 150,000 : 40%
      • On the next HK $150,000 : 75%
      • On the next HK $200,000 : 100%
      • On the remainder : 115%
    • Motorbikes:
      • 35% of value
  • All vehicles must comply with the exhaust and noise emissions standard.
  • Approval / exemption from the Environmental Protection Department before shipping vehicles into Hong Kong are advised.
  • Vehicles must satisfy local standards.
  • It is difficult to obtain insurance for vehicles older than 10 years.

Relocating Your Pets

These documents will be required when planning to relocate your pet to Hong Kong:

  • Health certificate from origin country
  • Import permit

Additional Import Advice

  • Health certificate from origin country
  • Import permit

Restricted & Dutiable/Taxable Items

Think very carefully before moving these items to Hong Kong. Items on this list will be taxed and/or require specific permission to import. In all cases they must be declared prior to you relocating to Hong Kong:

  • Illegal drugs
  • Firearms, explosives and ammunition (permission required)
  • Controlled chemicals
  • Pets and animals (permission required)
  • Meat and poultry
  • Counterfeit goods
  • Pornographic material
  • Rough diamonds
  • Knives and deadly weapons

Prohibited/Banned Items

Do not move any of these items to Hong Kong:

  • Dogs (dangerous breeds including Dogo Argentino, Fila Brasileiro, Japanese Tosa, American Pit Bull Terrier or Pit Bull Terrier, Perro de Presa Canario or Presa Canario and advertisements referencing these breeds
  • Embryo clones and viable materials, and any related advertising matter advertising these items
  • Suicide devices
  • Rough diamonds (see provision under Restricted/Dutiable Items)

Disclaimer: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This information is provided as a guide only. While Pearson has exercised reasonable care in publishing this information, Pearson makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.

Accredited by and members of: